The Other Side of a Suicide

Author: Sham Saha
Dated: October 24, 2010


I was standing just behind the platform tea stall. It was platform no 6. Station was crammed full as compared to other days. This station is too big. You can go at any end of the nation from here by train. But here on this platform people were waiting for local train.

Suddenly my eyes halted on a just passed high school boy. At least his body language was describing that itself. He was sitting on a bench with a black bag in his lap. He was not doing anything but kept his chin down. I could not read his face properly, but noticed that he was shaking his legs. He might be tensed of something or simply impatient. Then I saw, he took out a piece of paper from his bag and wrote something on it. While writing on the paper, his face turned nearly red and hand was wobbly. Anyway, I could only assume either he was tensed or sick. Meanwhile, an announcement on air – “Train to Kashipur will be on platform 6 in five minutes”.

Train was not on time - little later than its usual time. Meanwhile, now more people thronged on platform. The train was supposed to come from its car shed. People knew it would be vacant and there would be plenty of non-occupied seats. I saw train was coming. Suddenly, people stirred. Whosoever was sitting stood together as if they were obeying command of an Army Chief.
Again my eyes were on the boy. It seemed he was limping little. He was also in position to board on the train. The train was now on platform. Speed was quite slow. Many crazy people were simply throwing themselves inside the train compartments just to occupy the seats in advance. Don’t expect the same from me.

Suddenly I heard scream of a group of people. The boy jumped on railway track. The train now stopped. Crowd surrounded the whole spot. It seemed the boy was dead on the spot. I was not feeling well at that moment.

Now the Police came to spot to take out the dead body from the track. It was quite an adventurous scene to many people around as the train was already on the track. Police started searching the bag expecting to have some clue about the boy’s identity. Many people were talking with each other asserting to a single point – “It’s a suicidal case”. Police men were of no exception. Now they were in search of suicidal note. Finally, they found a folded paper.  Was that suicidal note or something else?
Some people already started overreacting for sake of curiosity.

Readers, I left the place before police and public could conclude to a point - “It’s a suicidal case”.

Now on, you will hear from the person who died on the spot.

Oh my God. What a terrible death I have just got. Do I deserve that? And what are the police searching in my pocket. So here they get my Coaching Class I-Card. They have already got the letter what Seema wrote to me. She has decided not to keep relation with me. How could you do this to me, Seema? Oh no. Two of the Police are reading Seema’s letter. They are looking at each other. Oh no.  They are interpreting it as suicidal case. That I have taken my own life in failure in love – based on Seema’s letter. I can’t imagine. Now they will reach to my house and meet my parents. And what will they inform?  Their son has suicided on railway track. How my Mom will react? What she will think knowing that there was a Girl naming Seema in my life. Whole colony and my friend circle will come to know that I have suicided and killed myself brutally. And it will be talk of the day for next couple of days.

Now the soul of my departed soul is on a sour note.

I cannot convince people personally that it was mere an accident. I did not suicide.

 I wanted to get the door of train compartment. I wanted to get on board the compartment to occupy the seat in advance. But I misjudged the hollow space in between two compartments as door and jumped in hurry!





Comments

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

Popular posts from this blog

The Almond Story

The Courier Boy

A Wish