A Wish


Author: Sham Saha
Dated: December 06, 2011

How many times have you felt dejected when God has not fulfilled your wish?
I am going to tell you a tale which is based on wish.

I know Arpan since my childhood – since those days when we used to fight over rare and expensive TinTin Comics available in a small town, since those days when we used to fight for the best place in classroom just around the single ceiling fan in a class of 61, since those days when we were in impish deed like ringing door bells of any house and used to run away from the spot.  Still we were best friends and had close-nit bond. Those days remain yearning forever.

After we passed school, we were not in same place. Things had changed. I got opportunities to study in Metropolis and left my small town. Still we were in touch. My best hang out had been always with him when I was at my home in vacation. The only change I saw in him, that he was quite reserved to share his personal matters, otherwise he was fun loving and full of life. I always saw him with an affable smile.

I could remember the day I met him last time just before my Visa to Australia was in process. I got a job over there. Now I am telling you about the day.
On that day, Arpan was half drunk though I knew him as non-drinker. We were in an unattended garden of Mango Tress. It was just after sunset – a crepuscule. He was sheer heartbroken and by that time, I am totally naive what happened to him.  He was howling restlessly. It was very difficult for me to bear the scene. I felt pity. I asked him with compassionate voice – “You were quite cheery on other day and now what on Earth has happened to you?”

After insistence, at last he started baring his chapfallen heart taking so many pauses in between.

Arpan was in touch with 3 girls in a family in same colony. I know the family but not much about those girls as I was always away from home since I started realizing the world in broader way. He did a lot for that family, especially for those girls, just as a neighbor as the only male candidate of that family used to be always out of town for job purpose.  He built a good reputation of himself – so assistive, so caring, so kind. But believe me - in this age, such kind of reputation is so fickle that you have to be always careful. There were rumours around questioning his unconditional favours to that family, especially for those girls. You know what kind of rumours it could be. Then the family started avoiding him as if they had believed what people were saying around. Based on that hearsay, those girls were also started not to give importance to him. Some female relatives of them had also fuelled the matter.

Arpan stopped after telling that much. I realized what made him so upset.  I felt he might be emotionally attached with one of those 3 girls. Anyway it was my guess. Then he casually lifted his face upwards to the gloomy sky. He started shouting - “Hey God I have never ever sought anything from you, as I was quite happy for what I already have. But I wish that day not to come in my life seeing any woman face from that family not even from their family tree.”  I still can remember his red eyes.

He left the town after few days and started living in some other town in job purpose. I was quite busy settling in Brisbane in my new job.
Months passed. My Mom called me and told me Arpan met with a road accident and he was in Hospital but out of danger. It was not possible for me to fly instantly back to home. I talked to his parents to assure if he was fine. His grief-stricken parents did not share much though. I was looking for opportunities to pay a visit back home. Nearly 2 months passed away. Meantime, I heard he would be soon released from Hospital.  I reached my home after flying all the way from Brisbane. It was coincidence that on the same day, Arpan was brought to home from hospital of the town where he was staying. I was about to enter his house. Few curious neighbors were also at their doorstep. Suddenly I saw those 3 girls and their mother were coming, of course to see Arpan.

I was not in good mood. I started thinking now what Arpan will do. He had to face those Girls’ faces.

They entered in the room where Arpan was lying on Bed. I was not far behind of them. From certain angle over their heads, I could only see Arpan’s fractured leg in that instance.

Suddenly, I got my answer what was peeping in mind just a while ago. God had fulfilled Arpan’s wish. He did not have to face those Girls’ faces.

I was unaware of it - Arpan lost both of his eyes in that road accident. His anguish turned to a wish.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"so unlikely of you"
Sham said…
@ anonymous

Perhaps I've lost not only "myself"...but many more..
I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Popular posts from this blog

The Almond Story

The Courier Boy